Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Oh right, I have a blog.

I have a tendency to forget that, don't I?  It's been a few weeks since I last updated and I'm proud to say not only am I still chugging along, but I didn't throw myself on my sword and give up after a (relatively small, .4lb) weight gain last week.


Week one was disappointing.  I know, I know:  I should take pride in any loss, but I really had myself convinced that I was going to lose 3 or 4 pounds, so only losing 1.6 was a bit of a slap in the face.  This is what I looked like when I got on the scale the next week and found out not only did I not lose anything, I GAINED .4lb:












(Well, I'm slightly paler than that, but you get the idea.)  But after sitting down and doing the autopsy on the previous week, it was suddenly not so much of a shock that I gained.  (Seriously, pizza AND a medium blizzard on the same day?  What was I thinking?!?!)


Okay.  Back to square one.  This week was much better.  I managed to navigate Mother's Day ("Please don't buy me candy or chocolates!" --me to hubby.) and even a trip to a fast food restaurant.  (Did you know they serve food that's not deep fried and doesn't involve the words "crispy" or "bacon ranch"?  Awesomesauce!)  I've come to realize that weight loss is not just about eliminating entire food groups or cutting calories back to 800 a day.  It's about analyzing your eating habits and strengths and weaknesses and making changes where you need to.  Oh, and I have realized that there are certain foods I absolutely cannot have in the house or I will be forced to eat them.  (Curse you, potato chips!!!  Get off my lawn!  *shakes fist*)  So fresh fruits have replaced chips and pretzels.  Grilled, lean meats have replaced fried and sauteed options.  Casseroles are probably a thing of the past.  (Though I do enjoy the challenge of taking a fat-laden, creamy casserole and lightening it up without losing all the flavor and creamy-comfort-food-ness of it.)  I'm so excited that summer is almost here, because soon there will be an abundant bounty of fresh fruits and veggies available.  (Farmers' markets ROCK!)  


I think I may have finally cracked the code about exercise, too.  I don't do well when I have to exercise by myself.  I lose motivation easily, and my determination wanes, and I really, really, really need someone to call me up and say, "Hey, lazybutt, get your behind down here and walk/exercise with me."  Luckily for me, I have my mom to do that.  We've been walking 3 times a week and are about to increase our walks from 4.4 miles to over 5 miles.  (Whaddya know...the fat girl can walk!)  In fact, we've committed to walking a half marathon next May.  (Hold me, Mommy, I'm SCARED!)  And one of these days in the not-so-distant future, we're planning to join Planet Fitness together.  My goal is to get to doing some sort of activity 5 days a week.  And you know what?  It will happen.  This time feels different.  Maybe it's because I don't feel alone.  Having friends and family along on the journey really makes a huge difference.  Being a realist, I know I will never be a size 6.  But I can be healthy.  And I will.


Because I lost 3.2 pounds today!  Bringing my 3-week total weight loss to 4.4 pounds.


Now 'scuze me for a second while I pat myself on the back...  

1 comment:

  1. Stick with me kid, I can help you replace your high-fat recipes with healthier alternatives!

    #1: Plain Greek yogurt. It's full of protein, low in fat, and has the texture and mouth feel of sour cream. You can eat it with fruit and honey or use it like sour cream.

    More to come!

    ReplyDelete